Monday, December 22, 2014
FAQ Categories
Frequently Asked Questions
rss Category
When do I have to report a car accident to the police?

If anyone involved in the accident is injured or killed, you must immediately report the accident to the police and a police accident report will be completed. If you are involved in an accident involving the property or domestic animals of another person and are unable to locate that person, you must immediately notify the police.

I struck a deer with my car. Do I have to file a police report?

Not unless a person involved in the accident was injured or killed. If there is over $1000 in damage resulting from the accident, you still need to complete the MV-104 and submit it to the NYS DMV.

Do I have to file an accident report if I have a certain amount of damage?

Yes, but not necessarily a police report... NYS Vehicle & Traffic Law requires that you notify the NYS Department of Motor Vehicles if you are a driver involved in a motor vehicle accident where the property damage of any person exceeds $1000.

  • This requirement is for every driver involved in the accident.
  • The report must be submitted to the NYS DMV within 10 days or your license may be suspended.
  • A police report does not meet this requirement, so you must still complete your own MV-104 report.

The NYS DMV MV-104 form is available at your local DMV office or online at

IMPORTANT: Inuries, fatalities & damage to unattended property or domestic animals

  • If anyone is injured or killed, your must notify the police immediately.
  • If domestic animal is injured or there is damage to a person's unattended vehicle/property, you must notify the owner immediately or notify the police immediately if you cannot.

Frequently Asked Questions Disclaimer

These frequently asked questions are not legal advice and all persons using this site are encouraged to consult with an attorney for any legal questions you may have. If you are not certain whether to report an incident in the Village of Holley, please call our office and speak to an officer or call 911 if it is an emergency.

Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use
Copyright 2009-2011 by Holley Police Department