Thursday, December 18, 2014
View Frequently Asked Question FAQ
Do I have to file an accident report if I have a certain amount of damage?


Yes, but not necessarily a police report... NYS Vehicle & Traffic Law requires that you notify the NYS Department of Motor Vehicles if you are a driver involved in a motor vehicle accident where the property damage of any person exceeds $1000.

  • This requirement is for every driver involved in the accident.
  • The report must be submitted to the NYS DMV within 10 days or your license may be suspended.
  • A police report does not meet this requirement, so you must still complete your own MV-104 report.

The NYS DMV MV-104 form is available at your local DMV office or online at

IMPORTANT: Inuries, fatalities & damage to unattended property or domestic animals

  • If anyone is injured or killed, your must notify the police immediately.
  • If domestic animal is injured or there is damage to a person's unattended vehicle/property, you must notify the owner immediately or notify the police immediately if you cannot.

Related Info


Frequently Asked Questions Disclaimer

These frequently asked questions are not legal advice and all persons using this site are encouraged to consult with an attorney for any legal questions you may have. If you are not certain whether to report an incident in the Village of Holley, please call our office and speak to an officer or call 911 if it is an emergency.

Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use
Copyright 2009-2011 by Holley Police Department